Byron Broten Insurance Agency Ltd.
209 602 16th Ave NW
Calgary AB, T2M 0J7
Tel: 403-220-0228
Toll Free: 877-220-1228
Fax: 403-220-0226
Byron Broten Insurance Agency Ltd. Calgary           Calgary Intact Insurance Provider            Calgary Aviva Insurance Provider        
Automobile Frequently Asked Questions:
What factors affect my insurance premium?
Calgary Auto Insurance Premiums Your car insurance premium is not determined solely by age, but also by a number of factors, including:
  • Your driving history
  • The type of car you drive
  • What you use your vehicle for
  • How many people will regularly drive the car
  • Where you live
  • The type of coverage you choose
  • Industry-related factors such as markets, inflation, taxes and regulations.
If my car is in an accident, what are my options for getting the damage appraised?
You are free to decide where you want to have the damage appraised.

We may suggest that your vehicle be appraised at one of our recommended licensed repair facilities. When you report your claim, your claims adjuster will provide suggestions of licensed repair facilities. However, it is up to you to decide where to have the appraisal done.
How does car rental coverage work if I get in an accident?
Calgary Auto Insurance Rental Coverage If your auto insurance policy covers loss of use, it may cover the use of a rental.
What is a deductible?
A deductible is the amount you agree to pay towards the cost of any single claim. For car insurance, the deductible amount, if any, is shown on your Certificate of Automobile Insurance. Depending on the type of claim, you may need to pay a deductible even if it was determined that you were not at fault in the accident.
What are my choices in terms of auto coverage?
Calgary Auto Insurance Coverage Options If you own or drive a vehicle in Canada, you must be insured. Different provinces and territories have different requirements, but the three mandatory elements of auto insurance are:
  1. Liability - if you cause an accident and someone sues you
  2. Accident benefits - if you or someone in your vehicle is hurt in an accident
  3. Uninsured Motorist - if you’re in an accident with an uninsured or hit-and-run driver

In addition, depending on the age of your car and your personal preferences you can choose to protect yourself further by adding optional loss or damage coverage’s that would protect you when you’re not covered by direct compensation property damage:

  • Specified perils - Covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it’s damaged by specific things like fire, theft and lighting.
  • Comprehensive - Covers the same as specified perils plus vandalism, falling or flying objects and other things.
  • Collision - Covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it’s involved in a crash (with a car or other object) ir it tips over.
  • All Perils - Combines collision, comprehensive and more. This is the broadest optional loss or damage coverage you can get through us.
I had an accident. What does it mean when my insurance company says I am “at fault” or “not at fault”?
If you are involved in a car accident and your car is damaged, your insurance company is required by law to assign the percentage of fault to each of the drivers involved in the accident. If you are in an accident and yours is the only car involved, your insurance company will most likely consider it an “at fault” accident (100% at fault). It is possible to be in an accident and be considered “not at fault” (0% at fault) or even “partially at fault” (50% at fault).

Fault is determined using the fault determination rules set out by your province or territory and all insurance companies have to use the same rules. They are designed to help insurance companies deal with accident claims quickly and economically.
How do I report a claim?
The easiest way is by either calling your broker or your insurance companies claim department!
Calgary Intact After Hours 1-866-464-2424
Calgary Peace Hills After Hours 1-800-369-4053
Calgary Aviva After Hours 1-866-692-8482
Byron Broten Insurance Agency Ltd. Calgary
Do I need to report the collision to the police?
Calgary Auto Insurance Collision Report You should contact the police if anyone is injured of the vehicles are not drivable. If there are no injuries and the vehicles are drivable there is no need for the police to attend. However, if the damage to your vehicle exceeds $2,000, you will need to report the collision to the nearest police station.
What is the difference between a claims appraiser and a claims adjuster?
Calgary Auto Insurance Claims Appraiser A claims appraiser is the person who will assess the damage to your vehicle & prepare an estimate.

Calgary Auto Insurance Claims Adjuster A claims adjuster is the person who will handle all other aspects of your claim, such as confirming the loss details, speaking with all parties and insurance providers, and arranging rental vehicles.
Do I need to file a police report if I have been the target of theft or vandalism?
Calgary Auto Insurance Report Vandalism Yes. Your insurance policy conditions require that you report these types of losses to the police.

Contact Us For a Quote


Claim Information
Claim Information Claims Checklist
Prevention Tips
Claims FAQ
Claim Information

Calgary Intact After Hours 1-866-464-2424
Calgary Aviva After Hours 1-866-692-8482