Byron Broten Insurance Agency Ltd.
209 602 16th Ave NW
Calgary AB, T2M 0J7
Tel: 403-220-0228
Toll Free: 877-220-1228
Fax: 403-220-0226
Byron Broten Insurance Agency Ltd. Calgary           Calgary Intact Insurance Provider            Calgary Aviva Insurance Provider        
Property Frequently Asked Questions:
How Can I Lower My Home Insurance Premium?

Here are a few tips to lower your
home insurance premium:

Lower Calgary Insurance Premiums
  • Install a centrally-monitored alarm system.
  • Take preventive measures to lower the number of claims you make. For practical advice, visit the Insurance Bureau of Canada's Web site.
  • Insure your home and car with us.
What Should I Do in the Event of Water Damage, Fire, or Theft?

If you experience a loss, take immediate steps to minimize the damage:

Calgary Flood InsuranceCalgary Fire InsuranceCalgary Theft Insurance

In the event of water damage, cut off the water supply and move all furniture and damaged items to a dry place.
  • In the event of theft, call your local police immediately
  • In the event of a fire, call the fire department right away. Even a small fire can spread quickly if it's not brought under control.
  • If there's damage, one of our claims advisors can help you deal with the emergency and start the claims process.
What is a Sewer Backup?
Municipal waterworks can handle normal, or slightly above normal, water flow. However, sewers can back up following heavy precipitation, melting snow, a sudden thaw, a rise in the water table, or other unexpected weather conditions.

Fortunately, you can minimize the risk to your house or apartment by following these loss prevention tips

Install a Backwater Valve
A backwater valve that complies with your municipality's standards and bylaws will prevent sewage from backing up into your basement. The valve closes automatically if the sewer backs up.

Maintain Your Backwater Valve
Proper care of your plumbing system will significantly reduce the risk of sewer backup. And of course, in the event
of a loss, one of our claims advisors can help you deal with the emergency and start the claims process.
What is Proof of Loss?
If you need to file a claim following a loss, your insurer will require proof of the loss. This term refers to proof of possession, ideally, the original bill of sale. Other documents, however, may be accepted, such as:
  • Owner's manual/operating instructions
  • Appraisals
  • Warranty cards
  • Credit card or bank account statements, etc.
Calgary Insurance Proof of Loss - Credit Card Statement Calgary Insurance Proof of Loss Approval

Calgary Insurance Proof of Loss

A Proof of Loss form must be certified by a
notary public or commissioner of oaths.

Once an insurer receives proof of loss, the claim must be processed quickly. Insurers have:
  • Seven days to declare their intention to repair or replace the article, or to repair the damage
  • 60 days to either pay compensation or reject the claim
What Documents Do I Need to File a Claim?
If you make a claim, your claims advisor will need various documents, including:
Calgary Insurance Proof of Loss
  • Receipts
  • Proof of ownership (such as photographs, user manuals, and warranties)
  • A list of damaged property
If one of your appliances causes water damage or a fire, it's important for you to keep this appliance for assessment. An inventory of your belongings could help prevent headaches in the event of a claim. You need to file a police report in the following situations:
  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Vandalism
  • Fire If a vehicle hits your house
Calgary Flood InsuranceCalgary Fire InsuranceCalgary Theft Insurance

A police report is required for most home insurance claims.

What does Property Insurance Usually Cover?
It depends on the type of home you live in. If you own a house, your property insurance will cover the house itself and detached structures like a fence or storage shed.

Your property insurance will also cover your personal belongings such as jewelry, artwork, furniture, computers, carpets and more.
Calgary Personal Liability Finally, your property insurance policy also includes third-party liability coverage. This protects you against personal liability if somebody is injured while on your property or if you accidentally cause damage to a neighbor’s property.

What are my choices for building contractors?
Calgary Building ContractorsThe choice of the repair firm is ultimately yours.
However, we do have a list of preferred vendors whose work is guaranteed for both quality and timeliness.

Any contractor that we recommend has been fully certified to handle all losses including fire, water and wind. They are available at any time to respond, as timely action can greatly assist in the restoration process and reduce the inconvenience to you. If you choose to use your own contractor, your claims advisor will work with you and the selected vendor to determine both the scope of the repairs and a price for completing them.
What if I have a loss?
What If I Have A LossThe risks to property are many and varied: theft, fire and water damage, to name a few.
Your response depends on the type of loss you face, but here are some hints to get you started:
  • Regardless of the type of loss, report it to your broker right away.
    The sooner we are aware of a claim, the better we can serve you or protect your interests;
  • If theft or vandalism occurs, report the loss immediately to the police;
  • If your property is damaged, do what you can to protect it from further damage. Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed
  • Assemble any receipts, warranty documents and other proofs of ownership for lost or damaged property;
  • Retain any receipts for expenses or replaced property.
What can I do to be safe and prepared?
Check that you have safety equipment installed and in working order. Fire and carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers, escape plans, deadbolts on doors and locked windows help to protect both your family and your property.

It also helps to know what you have in your home. Make a list of personal belongings in each room. Consider taking photographs or a videotape to keep with the list. If you'd like to assure yourself you have enough insurance coverage, consider totaling the values of all listed items and comparing the result to your “Contents” coverage limit. Feel free to contact your broker if you have any questions or wish to revise your coverage’s.

Contact Us For a Quote


Claim Information
Claim Information Claims Checklist
Prevention Tips
Claims FAQ
Claim Information

Calgary Intact After Hours 1-866-464-2424
Calgary Aviva After Hours 1-866-692-8482